Ft. Knox, Kentucky
Job ID: 4719
CALIBRE, an employee-owned Management Consulting, and Digital Transformation Company is looking for a GIS Analyst to join our dynamic team! The successful candidate will join a team to support the creation, analysis, management, and distribution of standardized geospatial information, products, and services to support range modernization, range operations, and the Integrated Training Area Management Program at Fort Knox, KY. Primary duties will include but are not limited to: developing data according to established Quality Assurance Plans, working directly with civilian and military personnel to develop GIS data, field data collection and development, GIS program management, metadata development, map production for various customers both military, internal, and civilian, web map development, GIS instruction, and custom GIS training exercise support.
Secondary duties include performing initial Quality Control (QC) on all acquired data as well as on produced geospatial representations of that data and to report on QC issues unresolved, to document via required geospatial metadata as well as via monthly progress reports, and to perform mapping for QC and update briefing purposes.
The successful candidate will work directly with the Installation Government Representative (IGR) as well as other Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and the CALIBRE PM.
The Ideal Candidate Shall have:
- Minimum of 2 years experience working with GIS in a professional environment, including but not limited to: importing, creating, and updating digital data layers, creating, and updating maps for natural resource management, system (hardware and software) management and maintenance, development of remotely sensed data, and use of a variety of data layers to support training activities and land management.
- Experience using large format plotters and other output methods for map products that need to be disseminated to a variety of customers.
- Ability to use ESRI’s ArcGIS Pro and the knowledge to recommend updates, extensions, new software/ hardware, that will benefit the installation program.
- Working knowledge of both raster and vector datasets, with the ability to perform analysis on both types of data to support decision making and strategy development.
- Ability to perform spatial analysis (including buffers, extractions, line of sight, cut/ fill, watershed, etc.) using ESRI’s ArcToolbox.
- Familiarity with SQL in a relational database environment.
- Experience with requirements gathering, definition, and scoping/estimating.
- Experience with GPS data collection and field mapping procedures, correcting field collected data, and utilizing field collected data to design, develop, plan, and projects for execution as well as to evaluate project completion and success.
- Knowledge of and experience using Trimble mapping grade GPS hardware and software.
- Demonstrate knowledge of concepts and principles of geospatial data management and general data Quality Assurance processes.
- Demonstrate ability to follow standard workflows and instructions consistently and efficiently.
- Very experienced with Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Ability to maneuver on foot over rough terrain carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Experience and familiarity working on government contracts or Task Orders.
- Experience working in a matrix organization which includes extensively remote workforce.
- Familiarity with the US Army Sustainable Range Program
- Familiarity with SDSFIE and FGDC metadata schema.
- Experience using the spatial analysis extension, topology, and 3D analyst
- Experience using ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Network Analyst, ArcGIS Spatial Analyst, ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- Experience creating and tracking large, detailed map products
- Knowledge of SQL Server, ArcGIS Server and ArcSDE
- Solid understanding of the geospatial tools to be used and the ability to follow a designated process, skills and knowledge essentially equivalent to a federal GS9 level.
- Preference will be given to those candidates that demonstrate greater than 2 years’ experience using established metadata tools and programs that are FGDC compliant or in advanced xml handling.
- Demonstrate experience of greater than 2 years developing and reviewing geospatial or tabular data to meet data standards, such as ensuring requisite data schemas, file naming conventions, etc.
- Strong communication and organizational skills are imperative to this position. Will be required to initiate and complete a variety of work tasks, requiring close coordination with and input from other people (including state and field staff members).
- Strong level of independence required for this position, which functions as the GIS Subject Matter Expert for the Installation and has a high level of autonomy.
The Candidate Shall Perform the Following
- Identify and acquire data in native formats from field, cooperative offices, state, and federal agencies. Priority data lists and methods will be provided for GIS Specialist to work from. This may require exploring and searching for data via communication with a wide variety of Subject Matter experts.
- Convert all formats of data acquired into well-documented geospatial files according to established Quality Assurance Plans.
- Create and ensure standard metadata is associated with each geospatial feature class and dataset and adheres to established metadata standards.
- Prepare and submit regular status/progress reports to CALIBRE and to the Installation as required.
- Prepare maps for project development, training exercises, reports, among other requests.
- Communicate and work with an extended interdisciplinary team on the installation and across the US to ensure proper understanding of installation needs, the Sustainable Range Program programmatic requirements, and mission sustainability.
- Assist with data collection, consolidation, sharing and general data management activities.
- Generate geospatial data, databases, analysis, maps, services and applications according to SRP and IGI&S standards and specification.
- Participate in conference calls and in-person meetings as scheduled.
- Other duties as illustrated in the established task order, and as requested by the installation.
- Attend trainings and educational opportunities to increase knowledge and skills.
- Develop written technical documentation (such as metadata, training materials, workflow diagrams, white papers, etc.).
- Create maps to communicate issues, to provide status updates or provide general spatial information to lay persons and geospatial experts.
- Orally communicate technical information effectively to lay persons and geospatial technical experts alike.
- Perform and answer regular data calls to installation leadership, as well as programmatic requests, in addition to regular quarterly data submittals and updates.
- Work closely with installation personnel to develop and update geospatial data to accurately reflect installation features and attributes.
- Procure imagery and digital elevation models as needed and at the request of the installation leadership.
- This position may require periodic travel.
- ESRI Technical Certification
- Bachelor of Science in Geography, Geospatial Information Systems, Environmental Science, or other similar area. Commensurate experience and demonstrated ability of individual may be substituted.
- Two years professional work experience.