Ft. Stewart, Georgia
Job ID: 4391
CALIBRE is seeking candidates for a Tractor Operator position. The successful candidate will join a team to support military training area rehabilitation and maintenance projects at Fort Stewart, GA. The candidate must have experience operating a variety of tractors, skid steer machines, water trucks, and backhoes. The Operator will use tractors and cutting implements for vegetation control and support Heavy Equipment Operators and other personnel on the ground by greasing equipment, acting as a runner for parts or fuel, and other support tasks as needed to minimize equipment down time. The Operator may read and interpret grade and slope stakes and simple plans, and may grease, adjust and make emergency repairs to equipment. Typical functions will include mowing operations and erosion control work. Examples include performing vegetation control, improving and grading unpaved military maneuver trails, reshaping and terracing of training areas, placing culverts, and building low water crossings.
PAY RATE: $16.67 plus H&W $4.23 per hour
- Safely operate gasoline or diesel powered tractors to: move materials, draw implements, tow trailers, pull out objects embedded in ground, or pull cable of winch to raise, lower, or load heavy material or equipment.
- Fasten attachments such as graders, plows, rollers, mowers (over 2000 lbs.), backhoes, seeders, and disc harrows to tractor, adjust equipment for proper operation, lubricate and make minor repairs to tractor and attachments such as tightening bolts, and replacing washers, cotter pins, and screws.
- Push and grade or load and relocate earth, rip rap, gravel, or other materials; clear brush, stubble, tree stumps, and/or other debris.
- Repair and maintain access trails to training areas.
- Operate equipment from one place to another, on both improved and unimproved roads in inclement weather conditions.
- Operate agricultural tractors with bat wing, side arm and related mowing implements in rough terrain.
- Perform equipment maintenance and safety inspections prior to daily use.
- Operate other implements such as mowers, weed eaters and chainsaws to ensure range facilities are maintained.
- Maintain equipment at the operator level which includes conducting before, during, and after operations checks for serviceability, applying lubrication IAW manufacturer equipment manuals, and ensuring equipment is turned in to higher-level maintenance for scheduled services.
- Report equipment breakdowns, schedule maintenance for all equipment and request additional equipment as needed.
- Safely use proper lifting/loading techniques to load, properly bind and deliver heavy equipment to project sites on public roads.
- Follow installation safety regulations.
- The work environment may include one or all of the following:
- Travel in Government and passenger vehicles and trucks, as a driver or passenger.
- Travel in military wheeled vehicles.
- Travel in vehicles on unpaved roads and off-road.
- Travel on public transportation.
- Field work in rough and remote terrain; in weather extremes such as thunderstorms, high heat and humidity, severe cold and wind.
- Field work in the proximity of unexploded ordinance.
- Field work in the proximity of military training exercises.
- Exposure to stinging and biting insects, ticks, spiders, venomous snakes, poisonous plants, spines, and thorns.
- Control and suppression of prescribed burns and wild land fires.
- Use of power equipment such as chain saws, weed cutters, wood chippers, trucks, etc.
- Loading, securing, transporting and unloading heavy equipment.
- Use of hand tools such as axes, rakes, shovels, brush cutters, machetes, saws, etc.
- Exposure to and application of hazardous chemicals and pesticides
- Candidates must pass stringent background checks to meet installation access requirements.
- Have demonstrated operator-level experience with agricultural and medium machinery.
- Have strong interpersonal skills in a team-based development environment.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Experience demonstrating the ability to work both individually and in team groups all consistent with the organizational goals.
- Candidate should have a High School Diploma with at least (1 to 2) years relevant experience.