Geographic Information Systems - GIS Specialist
Job ID: 3973
CALIBRE Systems, Inc., an employee-owned Management Consulting and Digital Transformation company, is looking for an experienced GIS Analyst (CONTINGENT ON CONTRACT AWARD) to join our dynamic team! The successful candidate will join a team to support the creation, analysis, management, and distribution of standardized geospatial information, products, and services to support a wide range of commercial and government customers across the United States and around the globe. Primary duties will include: research, identify and acquire specific data from staff within a state; to develop those data into geospatial layers which conform to defined data standards, are topologically correct and are in accordance with FGDC and BLM metadata standard, and finally, to ensure that all state level data compilations roll up to national views. Secondary duties include performing initial Quality Control (QC) on all acquired data as well as on produced geospatial representations of that data and to report on QC issues unresolved, to document via required geospatial metadata as well as via monthly progress reports, and to perform mapping for QC and update briefing purposes.
- Attend trainings and orientation as scheduled.
- Identify and acquire data in native formats from field and state offices. Priority data lists and methods will be provided that the GIS Specialist will work from. This may require exploring and searching for data via communication with a wide variety of field and state staff.
- Convert all formats of data acquired into single, well-documented geospatial files at a state or national level.
- Create and ensure BLM and FGDC standard metadata is associated with each geospatial file.
- Prepare and submit weekly status/progress reports.
- Prepare maps for progress demonstration or to illustrate data complexities and issues.
- Communicate and work with an extended interdisciplinary team across the BLM to ensure proper understanding of programmatic data elements, BLM data standards and geospatial methods guidance.
- Assist with data collection, consolidation, sharing and general data management activities.
- Generate geospatial data, databases, analysis, maps, services and applications according to BLM standard or specification.
- Participate in the monthly/weekly BLM conference calls and in-person meetings as scheduled.
- Solid understanding of the geospatial tools to be used and the ability to follow a designated process, skills and knowledge.
- Utilized primary tools including ArcGIS desktop (ArcMap), Spatial Data Engine (SDE), and other geospatial software components that may vary by state.
- Need to have experience in developing geospatial data and FGDC compliant metadata, resolving data conflicts, performing spatial QC and documenting all work.
- Strong communication and organizational skills are imperative to this position. Will be required to initiate and complete a variety of work tasks, requiring close coordination with and input from other people (including state and field staff members).
- Demonstrate experience of greater than 2 years developing and editing geospatial data using BLM standard geospatial tools, specifically ArcGIS/ArcMap, SDE and other ESRI developed GIS tools deployed within BLM.
- Highlight the proposed candidate’s experience in working on data acquisition and compilation projects, including types of data, formats dealt with for input and output, and compilation and edit procedures.
- Preference will be given to those candidates that demonstrate greater than 1 year experience handling complex ecological, natural resource or environmental landscape data.
- Preference will be given to those candidates that demonstrate greater than 1 year experience scripting or otherwise automating edit processes.
- Demonstrate experience of greater than 2 years in development and documentation of geospatial data via FGDC compliant metadata.
- Preference will be given to those candidates that demonstrate greater than 1 year experience using established metadata tools and programs that are FGDC compliant or in advanced xml handling.
- Demonstrate experience of greater than 2 years developing and reviewing geospatial or tabular data to meet data standards, such as ensuring requisite data schemas, file naming conventions, etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of concepts and principles of geospatial data management and general data Quality Assurance processes.
- Demonstrate experience in developing written technical documentation (such as metadata, training materials, workflow diagrams, white papers, etc.).
- Demonstrate experience in creating maps to communicate issues, to provide status updates or provide general spatial information to lay persons and geospatial experts.
- Demonstrate ability to orally communicate technical information effectively to lay persons and geospatial technical experts alike.